Convert Your Business To An S Corporation and Eliminate Self-Employment Taxes

Posted on Posted in Uncategorized

If you are reading this post you probably report your business on Schedule C of your Form 1040 or Form 1065 (for Partnerships).


Have you noticed that the self-employment tax significantly drains your cash? The S corporation may plug a good chunk of that leak because only the W-2 wages that the S corporation pays to you would suffer federal employment taxes.


Here’s the big picture: The S corporation


  • deducts the W-2 wages;
  • passes the remaining taxable income to you—the shareholder who reports the income on his Form 1040; and
  • makes cash distributions to you—the shareholder.


The passed-through S corporation taxable income increases the tax basis of your stock; therefore, distributions of corporate cash flow are usually federal-income-tax-free.


This tax regime places S corporations in a potentially more favorable position than equivalent businesses conducted as sole proprietorships, single-member LLCs that are treated as sole proprietorships for federal tax purposes, partnerships, and multi-member LLCs that are treated as partnerships for federal tax purposes.


That’s because S corporations can follow the tax-smart strategy of paying modest salaries to shareholder-employees while distributing most or all of the remaining corporate cash flow to them in the form of federal-employment-tax-free distributions.


And the best part? If your business was formed as an LLC you can convert to S Corporation tax treatment while remaining an LLC. You do not need to form a new entity or restructure. It is simply a tax designation that is registered with the IRS.


If you would like to examine the potential tax savings available to you with a switch to the S corporation, please call our team at +1 904 834 5249 or contact us here.

Can You Have More Than One Business Vehicle?

Contrary to popular belief, the IRS does not limit business owners to claiming deductions on only one business vehicle. You might maximize tax benefits by using multiple vehicles for business purposes. This is particularly true when you use the vehicles predominantly (more than 50 percent) for business, you drive more business miles than your spouse,

Read More »

Important Tax Rules For Foreigners Moving To The United States

Say you have a friend who moved to the U.S. from Greece. Here is a high-level look at eight tax considerations your friend needs to know: Tax residency. A foreign individual’s income tax obligation in the U.S. hinges on their tax residency status—whether they are a resident alien or non-resident alien. Resident aliens are taxed

Read More »

Why You Should Be Using A Health Savings Account (HSA)

When enacted, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) eliminated most small business health plans that reimbursed individually purchased health insurance. Consequently, many small business owners chose health savings accounts (HSAs) or opted to provide no health coverage at all. As of 2022, over 35 million HSAs were active, with assets amounting to $104 billion. The Devenir

Read More »

Important Depreciation Clarifications

In our continuous effort to provide value, here are some crucial insights into depreciation, particularly regarding business or rental assets. When Does Depreciation Start? Technically, depreciation begins not when you use an asset but when it’s ready and available for its intended purpose. For instance: A rental property begins depreciating when it’s available to rent,

Read More »

Maximize Your Tax Savings With Dealer Vs Investor Classifications

I have great news! You can have in your real estate portfolio both investor and dealer properties. This distinction is significant for tax purposes. Here’s a snapshot of the potential tax differences: Suppose you profit $90,000 from a property sale: As a dealer, your tax could be up to $46,017. As an investor, it might

Read More »

Repairs Or Improvements? Maximize Your Tax Benefits With Repairs.

The distinction between repair expenses and improvement costs can impact your tax benefits. The tax law categorizes repair and improvement costs differently. Repair expenses are generally more beneficial for tax purposes, providing greater after-tax cash value than the depreciation deductions you would get from improvements or additions. One key reason for this is recapture taxes.

Read More »